I have been coaching business owners, executives and professional athletes for about 20 years. I have an onboarding process, capturing the scope of work my clients want. And, in every instance, there is a request to work on Time Management. It has been this way from the beginning, and the only change that has occurred in 20 years is it is getting worse to manage!
The first tip is you cannot manage it. Give it up. It has not been something you could wrestle to the ground since Franklin/Covey (the early 90’s—before you were born!!), and even then, with their Priority A, B and C, it was a fool’s errand. This is old school Time Management thinking that does not work.
Another couple of tips to keep in mind:
- Multitasking wastes time. Often you make mistakes because you are not concentrating fully on one thing. Until you get a new brain, it cannot do more than one thing at a time. Period.
- Get a strong relationship with completing stuff. If you cannot finish something, note what was incomplete and keep it in existence on your phone. That way, when you come back you do not have to re-create where you ended up, just read the note and you have saved a bunch of time.
- Turn off your email alarms, they are a nuisance and a time waster.
- Take a break. It is not about getting more done (again, old thinking), it’s about productivity and peace of mind.
- There is more to say, but I am running out of time.?